How long does it take to feel the effects of CBD oil?January 27, 2021
How long, as well as how long it will last, depends on which administration method is choose.
- CBD products taken orally, such as edibles, powders, or capsules, tend to have longer-lasting effects, but onset takes longer, too. Before it can enter the bloodstream, where it begins to interact with the endocannabinoid system, it has to go through the digestive system first (which can take 30 to 90 minutes).
- CBD oil administered sublingually has a much faster onset, because it bypasses the digestive system and enters your bloodstream directly under the tongue. Users start to feel effects within 5 to 20 minutes.
- CBD extracts inhaled with a vape pen provide the quickest effects, making them ideal for acute symptoms. After inhalation, users start to feel the effects within a few minutes. However, effects only last for a few hours.
- CBD oils applied topically, such as lotions or balms, are best for treating targeted areas. The oil can be massaged directly onto the area to relieve pain or inflammation within minutes. Effects can last for several hours.
Not only does the method of administration affect the onset and duration of effects, but it can also affect the size of the dose you need to take. CBD has very low oral bioavailability, so CBD products ingested orally will lose a significant amount of the CBD through the digestive system, leaving only a fraction of it to make it into the bloodstream and exert the desired effects.
When applied topically to the skin, CBD also won’t reach the bloodstream. Instead, it will interact with nearby cannabinoid receptors to treat the pain. Similar to oral ingestion, transdermal application typically requires a higher dose, in order to ensure it permeates the skin deep enough to reach those cannabinoid receptors.
Because the other two methods (sublingual and inhalation) allow the CBD to enter the bloodstream directly, a higher amount of the CBD is absorbed into your system. As a result, you can take a lower dose when you use sublingual tinctures or vape extracts.
CBD products can be used to treat a variety of conditions (no medical claims can be made under UK law however), including:
- Anxiety disorders and PTSD
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Arthritis pain
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
We are not licensed to sell products containing more than 0.2% THC.
Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for!
Fantastic post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!
Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.
This actually answered my problem, thanks!